Planning Permission


Planning permission is not normally required as our buildings fall under permitted development because they are under 2.5m high.  At this height, in most cases you can build right up to the boundary, however we recommend a minimum gap of 0.5m from the boundary to help with maintenance. 

Most houses, even in conservation areas and areas of outstanding natural beauty , have permitted development rights. Flats and listed buildings have no permitted development rights, so will always need planning permission. 

The current guidelines are as follows

  • Buildings that are positioned within 2 metres of your boundary (in England) must not exceed 2.5m in height.  
  • Buildings or structures that are positioned more than 2 metres from your boundary must not exceed 3 metres in height, or more than 4 metres high with a ridged roof. 
  • Outbuildings must not cover more than half the area of land around the “original house”.
  • Garden buildings are not permitted development forward of the principal elevation of your house.  
  • You must apply for planning if your building or structure is to be used for running a business or storing commercial goods.
  • You must apply for planning for separate self-contained living accommodation.
  • You must apply for planning permission if your house is listed, you live within a conservation area, a national park or the broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty (A.O.B.) or a world heritage site.

    If a structure is over 30 sq m internally you will need building regulation approval.   

The above information is supplied as a guide.  If you are unsure, please give us a call or visit the Government Planning Portal.

Would you like help with planning?

If the structure you would like to build does require planning we are very happy to help.  Just give us a call.

Get in touch or request a call back